Resonance is a Big Bully!

If you've taken Organic Chemistry then you know that 86% of your professor's questions can be answered with "RESONANCE!" Of course there are several factors you should consider, such as inductive effect and steric hindrance, but resonance really hogs the lime-light of Orgo.

In light of this hilarious-yet-true aspect of the class, I wanted to share with you a quote from my professor today: "Resonance always beats the other stuff." When I heard this I covertly walked over to my professors desk to pick up a pencil and post-it, (my life-line this semester as I am very forgetful). I wanted to write down what he said because it spurred on a series of funny thoughts.

Instantly, the idea of resonance literally beating something up made me think that aromatics "Ar" probably mean too! Not to mention, Benzene must be a true bully. Don't worry though, while pi bonds sound tough they're nothing to be scared of. So, if your professor is looking at your class expectantly for an answer, even if you don't have the slightest clue, shouting out that answer usually doesn't hurt.

Just remember that resonance usually is the top-dog in the O-chem area.

Comments